In this manual, references to DARS now refer to TWC. The manual includes both links to public content and links to content available only to staff.
Teach setting up the workstation using the following steps.
- Determine the most effective way for the consumer to take notes.
- Provide instruction on the CPU including
- turning on the computer and shutting it down,
- performing a cold reboot,
- connecting peripherals to the computer,
- testing a scanner, and
- printing a test page.
- If applicable, provide instruction on PC-access and laptop (USB) video magnifier/OCR devices including
- installing device software;
- testing device features (connectivity, panning, zoom, contrast, distance viewing, etc.);
- setting the focus and contrast on a video magnifier;
- changing device settings; and
- using line markers.
- Provide instruction on organizing the workstation including
- the importance of good lighting,
- the most efficient arrangement of peripherals, and
- labeling important keys on a computer keyboard.
- Provide instruction on organizing tech support phone numbers for relevant software and hardware and how to use them.
Measure the following during workstation set-up training.
- The consumer can turn the computer on, shut the computer down correctly, and connect all peripherals to the CPU—Yes or No.
- If applicable, the consumer can use the split-screen feature and adjust the video magnifier effectively—Yes, No, or NA (not applicable).
- The consumer can identify a problem, contact tech support, and provide a clear, concise description of the problem—Yes or No.
Note: If the consumer needs additional training on how to set up the workstation or video magnifier, contact the EAS or counselor
before providing training beyond the authorized time.